These Vegan Strawberry Cinnamon Rolls are the ultimate comforting summer treat to have. They’re similar to a traditional cinnamon roll but made with a strawberry jam filling and cream cheese frosting to make them extra special.
-4 cups all-purpose flour + more for dusting
-1 tbsp active dry yeast
-1 cup full-fat coconut milk (I used Native Forest’s Unsweetened, Simple Coconut Milk from Edward & Son’s)
-⅓ cup organic coconut or cane sugar
-½ cup vegan butter, melted
-1 tsp pure vanilla extract
-¾ cup homemade strawberry jam (recipe below)
-2 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
-6 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
-½ cup maple syrup
-2 tbsp lemon juice
-1 ½ tbsp cornstarch (I used Let’s Do’s Organic Cornstarch from Edward & Son’s)
Cream Cheese Frosting
-8 oz vegan cream cheese
-½ cup (1 stick) vegan butter, unsalted, softened
-2 cups organic powdered sugar
- Combine the warmed milk with the yeast and sugar. Let sit until it gets foamy.
- In a large bowl, add in the flour. Once the yeast mixture gets foamy, add in the yeast mixture, vegan butter and vanilla extract. Knead until smooth and form into a ball.
- Cover and let the dough proof for 1-2 hours until doubled in size.
- Make the Strawberry Jam. Combine the strawberries with the maple syrup, lemon juice, and cornstarch in a large saucepan or small pot over medium-low heat. Allow it to simmer until the mixture thickens, stirring frequently. Pour the jam into a jar or bowl and allow it to cool.
- Once the dough is ready, dust a clean surface with some flour. Roll the dough into a rectangular shape. Spread the strawberry jam onto the dough leaving about ½ inch from the edge of the dough. Top with the chopped strawberries.
Roll the dough, starting with the long side, into a log shape.
Divide the log into 9 pieces and place into an 8×8 pan. Cover and let it proof for 20-25 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Once the rolls doubled in size, bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the rolls to cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting, add the cream cheese and vegan butter into a large bowl. Whisk them together using a hand mixer. Slowly add in the powdered sugar. Whisk until smooth.
When the cinnamon rolls cool, top with frosting. Serve and enjoy!