This Vegan Heirloom Tomato Galette is paired with a homemade vegan ricotta. It is easy to make and makes for the perfect summer meal to have.
When I think of summer, tomatoes always come to my mind. My mom loves planting them every year in our garden because of how easy they are to grow and you can harvest a lot of them in one summer. They are juicy when ripe and you can easily eat them raw. I actually prefer them this way because of how fresh and earthy they taste. I feel immediately connected to nature with one bite.
Now, I wasn’t always the biggest tomato fan. As a kid, I liked ketchup and cooked tomatoes, but nothing else. It wasn’t until I started helping my mom in her garden that I fell more and more in love with having fresh fruits and vegetables. It is not only the hard work it takes to grow plants but also the appreciation for all the beauty and life in Mother nature. Every morning, I am more amazed by all the life around me and how, even in the most brutal weather, many plants continue to thrive.
After seeing all the beautiful heirloom tomatoes at the farmers’ market, I decided I must make something with them. I thought about a gazpacho which I might make, but ultimately, decided on this Vegan Tomato Galette. The crust itself can be made the day before to have ready for the next day. The vegan ricotta is made with tofu. It is so creamy you would not regret making it.
If you are looking for a recipe to use with all the tomatoes you have, this recipe is for you. Let’s start baking!Print
This Vegan Heirloom Tomato Galette is paired with homemade vegan ricotta. It is easy to make and makes for the perfect summer meal to have.
-2 cups (272g) organic 1:1 gluten-free flour (or sub for all-purpose flour)
-1 cup (140g) unsalted, vegan butter, cold
-½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
-2 tsp salt
-1 tbsp iced water
-3 tbsp sesame seeds
-1 (14-ounces) package firm tofu
-¼ cup + 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
-1 ½ tsp salt
-¾ tsp garlic powder
-½ tsp black pepper
-1 lb heirloom tomatoes, sliced about ¼ inch thinly
-1-2 tsp ground, black pepper
- In a large bowl, add in the butter and apple cider vinegar. Mix together with a hand mixer.
- Slowly add in the flour and salt and continue to mix until a dough forms. Add in 1 tbsp iced water at a time if the dough is too dry. Knead into a disc. Cover and set it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the Vegan Ricotta. In a food processor, add in all the ingredients for the ricotta. Process until smooth.
- Flour a clean, dry surface. Roll the dough to about 14 inches wide in a circular form.
- Add about ½ cup of the vegan ricotta to the dough and spread thinly, leaving a 1-inch border.
- Top with the sliced tomatoes, avoiding the borders. Sprinkle with some black pepper (optional)
- Fold the borders and brush lightly with plant-based milk of choice. Top the crust with the sesame seeds.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the crust is lightly brown. Remove and let cool. Top with fresh basil, slice and enjoy!
Keywords: galette, vegan galette, tomatoes, heirloom, seasonal, basil, vegan ricotta