These Vegan Cranberry Pear Crumble Mini Pies are easy to make and great when you want smaller servings of desserts for yourself and your partner or for a small family. The sweetness of the pears balances well the cranberries. It is a burst of fall spices and buttery crusts that is bound to satisfy all food lovers!
I have to admit I was not the biggest fan of cranberries before. When I was little, I remember having some cough medicine that was cranberry flavored and really really hated the taste of it. So every year when thanksgiving rolls around and cranberry sauce or desserts were served, I steered away from it, not really understanding how others liked the taste of it. I tried eating a raw one too but still was not convinced it was good.
A couple years ago, my friend invited me to a family dinner. I was talking to my friend when her mom passed me a slice of a cranberry pie. My first thought was that I really don’t want to have it, thinking about the taste of the cough medicine I had before, but I didn’t have it in my heart to say no to her when she was so genuine and kind. I took the smallest bite, thinking about ways I can say I cannot finish it, but to my surprise, the pie was amazing and did not taste like cough medicine at all. The crust was flaky and buttery and the cranberry filling was just sweet enough and packed with the warm spices of fall. I was so glad I could finish it and not have to throw it away.
I started baking with cranberries more often during fall now, knowing it is such a wonderful seasoning ingredient. I made these Vegan Cranberry Pear Crumble Mini Pies that you can also make as one large pie. The mini size is great to serve for small families knowing that many families don’t want really large serving recipes. So if you are looking for something new to have for your Thanksgiving or Christmas this year, these mini pies are perfect for you!
Are you ready to make these cranberry pear crumble pies? Let’s start baking!
How do you make these mini pies?Print
These Vegan Cranberry Pear Crumble Mini Pies are easy to make and great when you want smaller servings of desserts for yourself and your partner or for a small family. The sweetness of the pears balances well with the cranberries. It is a burst of fall spices and buttery crusts that is bound to satisfy all food lovers!
-163g 1:1 gluten-free flour (can sub for regular flour), plus more for dusting
-½ tbsp organic coconut sugar
-113g (½ cup or 1 stick) unsalted, vegan butter, cold and cubed
-¼ tsp ground cinnamon
-½-1 tbsp iced, cold water
-5 cups fresh pears of choice, diced
-1 ⅓ cup fresh cranberries
-¾ cup organic coconut sugar
-3 tbsp maple syrup
-3 tbsp tapioca flour
-1 tbsp unsalted, vegan butter
-1 tsp ground cinnamon
-¼ tsp ground nutmeg
-pinch of salt
-¾ cup gluten-free rolled oats
-5 tbsp unsalted, vegan butter, cubed
-3 ½ tbsp 1:1 gluten-free flour
-⅓ cup organic cane sugar
-½ tsp ground cinnamon
-¼ tsp ground cardamom
-⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
-pinch of salt
- Prepare the dough first. Add the flour, sugar, and cinnamon to a bowl. Mix well. Add in the cubed, vegan butter. Using your hands, crumble the butter into the flour mixture and mix until a dough forms. Add ½ tbsp of the iced water and more if the dough seems too dry. Roll into a disc shape, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Prepare the filling. Add the diced pears and cranberries to a bowl. Add the sugar, maple syrup, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and salt. Combine well. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the vegan butter to a saute pan over medium-low heat. Add the pear and cranberry mixture to the pan, leaving out any juices that have released from the bowl. Allow the pears and cranberries to cook for about 8-10 minutes, allowing the juices to release. When the pears appear slightly soft and the juices have released, add the tapioca flour. Mix until the juices thicken. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Make the crumble topping. Add all the ingredients for the crumble topping except for the vegan butter into a bowl. Combine well. Add in the vegan butter and mix until a crumble form.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Take the dough out of the fridge. Dust a clean surface with some flour. Divide the dough into 6 pieces. Roll each dough out to the size of your mini pie/tart pan (I used a 3-inch sized pan). Place the dough into the pan and press on the sides of the pan until all sides are covered. Repeat the step with the remaining tart pans.
- Once the filling is cooled, divide the filling into the 6 mini pie pans. If there is extra filling, set them aside.
- Top each pan with some of the crumble toppings. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the filling is bubbly.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Serve as is or top with ice cream!
Keywords: mini pies, vegan pies, gluten-free, cranberries, pears