These Vegan Chocolate Caramel Dome Tarts are filled with a rich and creamy chocolate mousse combined with a caramel filling and buttery, gluten-free crust. They are perfect for all occasions.
-½ cup (120g) aquafaba
-1 cup (240g) vegan chocolate chips, melted
-1 tsp pure vanilla extract
-1 ½ cups (240g) 1:1 gluten-free flour
-¼ cup (30g) tapioca flour
-1 tbsp (15g) coconut sugar
-½ tsp salt
-½ cup (115g) unsalted, plant-based butter, chilled and cubed
-5-6 tbsp (70-84g) iced water
-1 can (400ml or 13.5oz) full-fat coconut milk
-½ cup (80g) coconut sugar
-pinch of salt
-1 tsp pure vanilla extract
-¾ cup (188g) unsweetened, plant-based milk of choice (I used almond milk)
-½ cup (120g) vegan chocolate chips
-crushed almonds or any other nuts of choice
- Prepare the Chocolate Dome. In a mixing bowl, add the aquafaba and whip on high-speed for 5-8 minutes until fluffy. You will know it is ready when you flip the bowl over and the whipped aquafaba will not fall. Fold in the melted chocolate and vanilla extract. Be careful not to over combine, just enough that you do not see the aquafaba anymore. Divide the filling evenly into six 2 ½ inch circular mold pans. Transfer to the freezer and allow it to set for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Prepare the Crust. Add the gluten-free flour, tapioca flour, coconut sugar, and salt to a large bowl. Mix until combined. Add in the cubed plant-based butter. Knead until the butter is covered with flour. Slowly add in the iced water 1 tbsp at a time until the dough comes together. Flatten into a circular shape, cover and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare the Caramel. Add the coconut milk, coconut sugar, salt and vanilla extract to a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow it to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently until thickened. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dust a clean surface with some flour. Roll the dough into a rectangular shape. Use a 3-inch tart ring and cut out 6 circles of the dough for the bottom layer of the tart. Set aside.
- Roll the remaining dough into another rectangular shape. Make rectangular strips about ¾ -inch wide. Take one and roll it onto the side of the tart ring. Press on the sides and bottom edge of the tart pan to keep the dough together. Repeat with the remaining tart rings. Once ready, place in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tarts from the freezer and bake for 12-15 minutes until the crust is lightly golden in color. Allow to cool completely.
- Prepare the Chocolate Glaze. Bring the plant-based milk to a boil. Pour over the chocolate chips and allow it to melt completely.
- Take the chocolate domes out of the freezer. Place each dome over a cooling rack lined with a baking sheet pan. Drizzle the chocolate glaze over each dome. Place back in the fridge for 20 minutes and allow it to set.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of the vegan caramel over each tart crust. Top each tart crust with one of the chocolate domes.
- (Optional) Top the sides of each tart with some crushed almonds. Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: chocolate, vegan chocolate, vegan tarts, gluten-free, refined sugar-free