These Vegan Chinese Bunny Steamed Buns require minimal ingredients to make and are great for breakfast and snacks.
-1 ¼ cup (150g) all-purpose flour
-1 tbsp (15g) organic granulated sugar
-½ tsp (7g) active dry yeast
-⅓ cup (80ml) full-fat, coconut milk, room temperature
-½ tbsp white vinegar
-Pink and Black Natural Vegan Food Coloring
- Add the flour, sugar, and yeast to a large mixing bowl. Mix until well-combined.
- Add in the coconut milk and knead the dough until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and allow it to rest for 1 hour.
- Once the dough has risen, reserve 60g of the dough, roll it into a ball, and set it aside. Divide the remaining dough into about 80g sized balls. Place the divided dough back into the bowl and cover with a wet towel to prevent the dough from drying out.
- Divide the reserved 60g dough into three 20g ball of dough. Add a couple drops of the black food coloring into one dough. Knead until all the color is incorporated and the dough appears black. Add more of the black food coloring until you achieve the color you want. Repeat the step with the pink natural. Leave the remaining white dough aside.
- Dust a clean surface with flour. Take 1 of the large dough from the mixing bowl and roll into about 3-4 inch sized balls.
- Take 2 small pieces of the white dough and roll into an oval shape. Brush the larger dough with some water. Add the 2 white doughs to the upper right and left sides of the dough; this will be the ears of the bunny. Take 2 very tiny black dough and roll it into a ball. Add to the center of the larger dough to serve as the eyes. Take a small piece of the pink dough and roll it into an oval shape to serve as the nose. Add to the center of the larger dough. Add the finished dough to a steamer basket lined with parchment paper. Make sure to leave about 2 inches of space between each dough. Repeat this step with the remaining large dough.
- Add some water and the white vinegar to a large pan or pot. Bring to a boil. Add the steamer basket filled with the cow buns to the pan or pot. Lower the heat to medium and allow the buns to cook for 8 minutes. Once the dough is ready, be sure NOT to open the lid right away to prevent the cooked steamed buns’ skin from wrinkling. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes before lifting up the cover.
- Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: buns, steamed buns, bread, vegan bread