This Vegan Strawberry Matcha Tart requires no baking at all. It is a tasty summer treat to have and easy to make. It is vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free. If you love strawberries and matcha this tart is for you!
-½ cup unroasted, raw sunflower seeds
-½ cup unroasted, raw cashews
-½ cup walnuts, whole or chopped
-¾ cup Medjool dates, soaked in hot water for 10-15 minutes
-½ cup nut butter of choice (I used almond butter)
-pinch of salt
-2 cans full-fat coconut milk
-¾ cup organic coconut or cane sugar
-¼ cup tapioca starch (can sub for arrowroot powder)
-½ cup unsweetened, plant-based milk of choice (I used almond milk)
-6 tsp matcha powder
-4 tsp agar-agar powder
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- Add all the ingredients for the crust into a food processor and blend until all the pieces are broken up.
- Pour the crust mixture into a 9-inch tart pan, pressing on all sides until the crust is formed. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes. Then, place in fridge.
- Make the filling. To make the filling, add the coconut milk into a large saucepan or pot over medium-low heat and bring to a slight boil. Add the milk, sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Slowly whisk in the matcha powder. Continue to whisk until all the matcha powder dissolves. Add more if you want a darker green color.
- Slowly add in the tapioca starch and agar-agar powder, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk until all the lumps are dissolved. Let it simmer until the filling thickens slightly.
- Pour the filling into a sieve over a large bowl and mash until all the filling is dissolved into the bowl. This will ensure a smoother texture for the filling.
- Pour the filling mixture into the tart pan. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours until firm. Top with fresh strawberries and enjoy!
Keywords: matcha, strawberries, vegan tart, gluten-free tart, nut butter, creamy