This Vegan Zebra Brioche Bread is soft and pillowy. It is easy to make and requires minimal ingredients. If you are a bread lover, you will love this bread!
-3 ½ cup flour plus more for dusting
-3 tbsp cacao powder
-1 packet active dry yeast, about 2 ½ tsp
-¾ cup unsweetened almond milk (or any other plant-based milk of choice), warmed
-⅓ cup organic cane sugar
-3 tbsp vegan butter, melted
-1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
-1 ½ tbsp maple syrup
-pinch of salt
- Combine the milk with the yeast and 1 tbsp sugar. Let sit until the yeast activates and foams. Make sure the milk is not overly hot, otherwise, it will kill the yeast.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, remaining sugar, and salt. Mix well. Slowly add in the milk with yeast, melted butter, and apple cider vinegar together. Mix and knead the dough until smooth, about 10-15 minutes. If the dough is too dry, add 1 tbsp of more milk at a time. If the dough is too sticky, add 1 tbsp of flour and continue kneading.
- Add some oil to another bowl. Add the kneaded dough into the bowl and cover with a cloth and allow it to rise, double in size, about 1 hour.
- Once the dough rises, divide the dough into 3 parts. Add 1 tbsp of the cacao powder to 1 dough and knead until smooth. Add ½ tbsp milk if the dough is too hard to knead. Add the remaining cacao powder to another dough and knead until smooth. Add ½ tbsp milk to the dough if it is too dry to knead and combine the cacao powder.
- Once ready, divide each piece of dough into 5 pieces and roll each piece into a log about the size of your loaf pan (mine is about 8-9 inches). Place the lighter brown dough in the center. Flatten the darker dough and wrap it around the lighter brown dough and form into a log. Flatten the whiter dough and wrap around the darker dough and form into a log. Repeat the steps for the remaining dough.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Place the log-shaped doughs into the pan. Cover with a cloth and allow it to rise again for another 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once the dough doubles in size, brush the dough with maple syrup. Add more maple syrup if needed.
- Bake the dough for 25-30 minutes. The color should be a golden orange color. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before slicing. Enjoy!
Keywords: vegan bread, brioche, zebra bread, easy baking, active dry yeast, homemade bread